18 Jan 2008

Chaos Theory, chaotic life

chaos is the description of the complicated natural phenomenon..
and in mathematics describe the complicated behavior of nonlinear systems..

I am so overwhelmed with chaos, I guess every one will agree that every thing in life follow the law of chaos … the movement of a fluid is either unstable or not; the heart beats regularly but sometimes goes into a fibrillation; the weather blows hot or cold.

Chaos opens up the possibilities

I'm sure every one have heard of the Butterfly effect
“The phrase refers to the idea that a butterfly's wings might create tiny changes in the atmosphere that ultimately cause a tornado to appear (or prevent a tornado from appearing). The flapping wing represents a small change in the initial condition of the system, which causes a chain of events leading to large-scale phenomena. Had the butterfly not flapped its wings, the trajectory of the system might have been vastly different.
" Lorenz

And this is the beginning of the great discovery of the theory of chaos


Those who are against chaos don’t realize the fact that there is an order hidden in chaos…
This is what chaos theory is all about…look at this fractal equations that is known as the Mandelbrot set:
zn+1 = zn2 + c

*c is the number being evaluated, and z is a sequence of numbers (z0, z1, z2, z3…) generated by the formula. The first number z0 is set to zero; the other numbers will depend on the value of c. If the sequence of zn stays small (zn ≤ 2 for all n), c is then classified as being part of the Mandelbrot set. For example, let’s evaluate the point c = 1. Then the sequence of zn is 0, 1, 2, 5, 26, 677… . Clearly this sequence is not staying small, so the number 1 is not part of the Mandelbrot set.



Now, how exactly this set in turned into this photo
Here is a link that might help
I didn’t understand it totally yet, it needs time which I don’t have :(


The human heart also has a chaotic pattern. The time between beats does not remain constant; it depends on how much activity a person is doing, among other things. Under certain conditions, the heartbeat can speed up. Under different conditions, the heart beats erratically. It might even be called a chaotic heartbeat. The analysis of a heartbeat can help medical researchers find ways to put an abnormal heartbeat back into a steady state, instead of uncontrolled chaos.


Annnd MUSIC!
yes Music...
Music can be created using fractals as well.
Using the Lorenz attractor, Diana S. Dabby, a graduate student in electrical engineering at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, has created variations of musical themes. ("Bach to Chaos: Chaotic Variations on a Classical Theme", Science News, Dec. 24, 1994) By associating the musical notes of a piece of music like Bach's Prelude in C with the x coordinates of the Lorenz attractor, and running a computer program, she has created variations of the theme of the song. Most musicians who hear the new sounds believe that the variations are very musical and creative

this is just Amazing..

chaos is the art of creation...

and people wonder why I am so obssessed with choas!

people need to get lost in Mandelbrot set for a while… zooming in and out to appreciate the art and the greatness of chaos

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is too much information for my head, I doubt I understand with anything but art and colors and shapes, but for chaos is essential as I believe that what people call "god's will" and "destiny" and "luck" is pure chaos, and is a specific reaction of a random action.
As you mentioned, I also think chaos is not a sudden incident but rather a link in a sequence.
Really, nice article, was really inspiring to read it.
I suppose you should enjoy modern art, absurd theater, electro and trip hop music?? no?
Keep rolling.

Dania said...

It is too much for me too, I will turn into my high school physic’s teacher to help me with understand what I couldn’t understand yet –when I get some time- and searching the net to look for more data
I am really so impressed with this subject, and I second you that this is what people usually call “luck” and “God’s will”.
And you are right when it comes to the modern art, but I am not expert in any of it.
thnx

Anonymous said...

Lool.. I don't expect there is such someone called "expert" in art. It's a process of learning, and of creativity, it just never ends.
When you've the time try googeling Samuel Becket, Andre Beton, Portishead, Jene Genet, Massive Attack, and Franz Kafka. It's all names for music bands and literature artists, I imagine you must know some of them, but try the rest, http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/less-time/

This is for Beton.

I'm not gonna turn this into a private conversational thread, so I'll get my a** out of here, but I thought you would like to know about those artists.
Enjoy the day.

Dania said...

I recognized some of the names you mentioned
It was great learning about André Beton … thnx!

marc said...

i've been thinking about this for years, and firmly believe you can apply the chaos theory to the workings of the mind, and normal human behaviour

if you freeze any moment in time, there are no conditions that are NOT pre defined, physical, and mental - and therefore the outcome is set in stone,

it seems to contradict the existence of free will, but its completely unpredictable and - and YOUR free will, is YOUR free will - which is defined by your already existent character anyway -

i've had many a pub argument about this over the years but am yet to find anyone who can convince me otherwise

cheers

marc