7 Feb 2008

Set the control for the heart of the sun _ Live at Pompeii!


Little by little the night turns around
Counting the leaves which tremble at dawn
Lotuses lean on each other in yearning
Over the hills a swallow is resting (Under the eaves the swallow is resting)
Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Over the mountain, watching the watcher
Breaking the darkness, waking the grapevine
Knowledge of love is knowledge of shadow ( One inch of love is one inch of shadow)
Love is the shadow that ripens the wine
Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Witness the man who waves at the wall (Witness the man who raves at the wall)
Making the shape of his questions to heaven
Whether the sun will fall in the evening
Will he remember the lesson of giving?
Set the controls for the heart of the sun
Set the controls for the heart of the sun
The heart of the sun
The heart of the sun



It is really a shame that some of pink Floyd’s fans don’t recognize this master piece from their 1968 album “ A Saucerful of Secrets”…

They gave it a great performance in their musical DVD
“Live at Pompeii – the director's cut” which is the best musical DVD I have ever seen…
The directors cut (Directed by Adrian Maben) that was released in 2003 is much better quality than the original one, not to mention the amazing “extras"

I strongly recommend every one who wants to live the whole pink Floyd experience to get this one, I mean …Watching them play on the sand in the middle of this ancient empty Roman amphitheater in Pompeii
… setting the outdoor studio in such an extraordinary position …
Astonishing visual art, and you will get a whole new concept of the bass guitar, not to mention those amazing footage of them in Abbey Road studios working on the Dark Side of the Moon…
Just young musicians with a musical vision and an outstanding talent and creativity…

God…This DVD means a lot to me… it brings enormous memories… the good old days!

It is not just the memories…

It can just rave you away… to the heart of the sun

6 comments:

Omar said...

the significance of this song is that it always brings trance in all its performances and versions... there is something about the tune I guess...
I saw Roger waters perform it live 3 times.. once in Beirut and twice in Montreal.. and every time was a new experience..

hats off for your selection.. and thank you for the video cos i nver knew wthat it had a video clip before

Dania said...

xI think The best performance to this song was in the 70th “live at Pompeii”
Glad you liked the video, it was taken from the same DVD I was talking about.

But wait a min…
You saw Roger’s live performance 3 times!!
3 times!!
I would give any thing to see him live…any thing!
Pathetically I was only able to watch them on live8 on TV :( which didn’t give me any satisfaction as I expected…

Omar said...

yup.. Roger waters 3 times and David Gilmour 2 times... I had to travel 7 hours by bus to see David Gilmour.. so go figure..

by the way, the new David gilmour DVD Live at the Albert Hall is also a magnificent piece... he brings David Bowie on stage for a duo in Comfortably numb!!!!!!!!!

anyhooo.. I am buying the Pompei DVD today.. I owe you one for the referral

Anonymous said...

Pretty wierd that I always considered PF music to be one of my favorite sorts, but it's my attitude not to follow the singer, but the song, I don't even know the shape of most of my favorit singers!
I think your post changes that :s
I wonder if I can get the DVD from downtown babtouma tho :P

Dania said...

Omer, Man you are lucky!, I would travel walking for seven months to attend any of these concerts!

I ordered the DVD you mentioned 3 months ago and couldn’t get it till now, they asked me to wait till the end of the month when friends come back from USA to bring it to me

I'm sure you will love "live at Pompeii" enjoy it.

Sol, in some cases and Pink floyd in specific, the visual presentations they bring is sometimes equal the greatness of their music... it is all part of the vision

in Bab touma, you can try the shop in front of "tamashi" very helpful guy, if not try your luck with "Ashtar" - next to the church" even though with the new management things are not the same.

Dania said...

and you can go to Shalaan, Lazer - next to "time out"- I gave him the DVD to copy it, I think he has a copy for you.