30 May 2009

Hijab and the thin line between prejudice and tolerance

There is a thin line between hypocrisy and standing for personal freedoms or let’s say between prejudice and tolerance.
I do understand that due to the general practice of forcing religions and religious behavior into an oppressed society which is seeking its way out of an internal fear culture and external existential threat by clutching into religions and all types of the to-go set of rules… I do understand how easy it is to be drifted into prejudice when it comes to “hijab”.

A girl with hijab is either an oppressed, ignorant, submissive girl. Or a good girl with good morals and a potential tool to save the doomed society to the “heaven of Islamic Imara”…! A girl with hijab is forced to wear it, a girl with hijab is a brain-less pitch who could just jump into prostitution due to sexual oppression, a girl with hijab has limited freedom, a girl with hijab is an uncivilized prospect in societies, a girl with hijab is …. And the list won’t end.
It’s like this girl is packed into different shapes and is ready to be sold out in the supermarket for public -so-called-intellectuals and scholars to be bent into any shape they wish.

And the same goes if we tried to scan the public prejudices of girls with mini-skirts.

What I want to say inhere is very clear: whether if I wear hijab or I walk naked in the street, I should not be subjective to your prejudice in any form.

I am generalizing in here, and I understand how it is difficult to be perfectly spotless from all this madness around.

And I realize that it’s not that simple. To talk specifically about hijab. It’s way more complicated. There is a big percentage of girls who are some how forced to wear it, it could be the fear of your judgment that forced her into wearing it. And at the same time there is a big percentage of girls who took hijab off or didn’t wear it even though that they wanted to in order not to be subjective to your judgment or to the lack of good employment.

You can have your own opinion about it, you may refuse the idea or hate it, and you may think that it’s unnatural for a human being to cover her /his head, you may even find it as a tool to consider women as sexual targets, there are a lot of those ideas I do agree with. But I also do respect the free choice any girl does take to put hijab on or to take it off, I do respect if the girl considers it as a symbol, as a practice of her believe or even as an expression of identity.

Personally speaking, as some one whose believe system is constantly messed up, that got me to wear hijab some time before then deciding to take it off, as some one who went from believing to atheism to Islam to agnosticism and maybe to Buddhism or to “I don’t give a shit”.. I was discriminated against by some of those who consider themselves “intellectuals” by those who call themselves as “anti-discrimination” activist… I used to try to justify myself till I realized that I don’t have to…



So, let’s when calling for freedom of expression to call for the principle itself and not for a set of rules that might abuse the very principles we are calling for.

Cheers all.

4 comments:

saint said...

It seems there is no one commenting on your post, so I will give it a try to test your tolerance and how far you chaos, since you are the one who making the noise and we are the ones, audience, who have to bear the burden of hearing you. What I mean from that, we audience have more rights than you and you have to stand up to what you say and defend your theory. ), I hope you will get my sense of humor.

Questions:
-What is the percentage of girls do you think forced to wear the Hejab?.
-What is the percentage of girls do you think forced to not wear the Hejab?.
-Can you support your guessing with some examples?
-Do you think religion is necessary for the life of people or they can do without, and if they can who decide that?
-Do you think those fathers who forces anything on their children are normal good abiding citizens supported by social order and traditions or are they just animal do not feel their children ambitions and hopes.
-Do you think that the question of Hijab has to do with laws and media presented by State or do you think the State has nothing to do with this?
-What are your explanations of the Hijab phenomenal in your country and in the west?
-Do you think that Hijab could be a form of protest against tyranny and injustice?
-Do you think Hijab will disappear in the future or will keep spreading as shown in the past 20 years.
-What do you the difference between the commotion made by Europe regarding Hijab and the USA no problem attitude.
-Do you think that leaders’ wives have any influence on the generation and if they can give good example and what do you think of your president wife role and president Obama wife and Turkey Prime Minister Wife.

Rafael Rofes said...

Hello:

I saw your web-blog. I think it is excellent. Iam from Cuba, but I live in USA. I would like to changes links. I have 2 blogs...

www.pasajedeportivo.blogspot.com

http://del-verde-caiman.nireblog.com

I hope you respond soon...

RAFAEL.

Dania said...

Saint,
I always get weird sense of humour, it's my type of humour :)

Anyhow, I can't give you accurate answers on your questions cause simply i can't relay on any thing.
My experience would be different from other's experiences, eventually how many girls were born in a Muslim family went to Atheism and then agnostic and is still unstable... my case of wearing it is totally different from any one I know.

I know girls who were forced not to wear it as I've met a girl at school who was forced to wear it and I'm sure there are a lot.

My point was simply that Prejudice is something that is common in our society toward this very thing , hijab.

a question i really liked:
"-Do you think religion is necessary for the life of people or they can do without, and if they can who decide that?"

They can do without... very well!
this is what I like to think, and this is what i believe.
but to be neutral let's say, and because humanity didn't know otherwise till lately, I can't say so... maybe it's necessary to hang on to something bigger than our understanding so we can throw every thing we can't understand on it, all injustice all the mess.
ya3ny, a type of safety net, if you got what I mean.

Anonymous said...

To my knowledge the hijab pre-dates islam and has nothing to do with religioun. History tells that it was a tool used to control woman. So woman who choose to wear a symbol that woman are less worthy than men, go ahead by all means. I think its just an insult to all woman equal to men. Its like a black man walking around calling himself a slave.