5 Jun 2009

An Insignificant thought about the historical era we live!

I’ll leave every one behind analyzing and fighting over Obama’s speech, and spend the day in Marmousa with a close friend who has nothing to do with politics. A guitar addict who cares the least about the world around him.

Anyhow, one thing that really annoys me inhere, it’s the fact that we all are so obsessed with the “historical” speech blabbing about how our fates depends on it; eyes are wide open, ears are wide open, brains intensively working with analyzing, twittering between friends, you can hear the keyboard tap-dancing and pencils scratching painfully on blank papers…

It’s weird if you thought about it for a minute; our future depends on every thing except on us. I’m not trying to underestimate the “role” of the international politics in our lives as Middle Easters eating, drinking, talking, fighting and breeding… but give it a thought….

Our country’s future depends on his (not our) speech and his plans (not ours) to communicate with those (not us) who are ruling (our) country in the most backward way possible, but it’s never depended on us. Nothing depends on us in any thing… God, what useless freaks we are!
And who are (us) anyway?!

So, as insignificant and self-centered as I am, I will be happily thinking about the magnificent article I’ve read today, pack my scrapbook and my camera… and hop to my self-centered heaven for the day.

4 comments:

Katia said...

I was saying the exact same thing to some friends yesterday! Both our media and politicians play the victim card whenever they can to help smothering and scaring the masses, because that's their main job. And on the other hand they fly the inferiority flag up high as if their lives depend on it, that way convincing the man in the street that he's worth shit and that he has to wait for the big smart guys to come along and tell him how to be swell and civilized and - basically - how to be a good sheep that takes it all in... like it's a secret... Sigh

Anonymous said...

Je suis d'accord avec vous Dania, c'est un monde fou et il est si facile d'être éloignés de notre propre volonté.

Anonymous said...

"A guitar addict who cares the least about the world around him."

But we are all atoms out of which the fabric is woven. Just because someone says "he doesn't care", doesn't mean he is detached. Furthermore art does not reside in a realm of its own. When people think of art, they usually place it on a peak opposing that of politics. But that is not so, as surely many Europeans for instance have come to realize: Art is the other face of empire. And as such, and I believe quite convincingly, Edward Said have attempted to show in his monumental Orientalism and subsequent Culture and Imperialism: Art is politics.

William Blake in his annotations to Reynolds’s Discourses: “The Foundation of Empire, is Art and Science. Remove them or Degrade them and the Empire is No more. Empire follows Art and not vice versa as Englishmen suppose.” Culture and Imperialism

Dania said...

@ Katia,
I'm glad that some one was sharing my views.
"how to be a good sheep that takes it all in... like it's a secret... Sigh", I couldn't say it better!


@ Anonymous,
Merci beaucoup! :)


@ Wineofwisdom, The fact that "he doesn’t care doesn't mean he is detached" is exactly why I asked him to join me.
To me I think Art is way more sacred to be defined this way, art can express politics, can provoke politics but will never wanna analyze politics.
I really really enjoy your comments please keep visiting this humble chaotic home.