25 Oct 2008

CEDAW with some discriminations allowed!!!

What the fuck is the meaning of this statement:
"Syria signed on the CEDAW convention but with conservations "????

Notice the "ALL" in here:
CEDAW stands for The Convention on the Elimination of ALL Forms of Discrimination against Women.


So if it is OK for me to be treated as a second degree citizen, if it is OK if I was discriminated against when it comes to rights and responsibilities if I got married, if it is OK if I didn’t have the right to pass my nationality to my kids because I am a woman, if it is OK if I was stopped at the airport and asked for my "husband who is my sponsor's" permission, if is it OK if I was killed because I fell in love with some one, if it is OK for me to be considered half human by the Syrian law…


what in hell is the meaning of this statement:
"Syria signed the CEDAW convention with some conservations"

If our "respected" head of the Parliament was insisting that: "women are not considered as citizens" in the Parliament meeting through many statements he made...
http://www.nesasy.org/content/view/6569/110/

I leave it here, I just can't find any more words to describe the anger i am holding right now, nothing to describe how frustirated and disgusted i am feeling right now.

it is DARK... DARK AND DOORS OF HOPE ARE SHUT AGGRESIVELY ON THE FACE OF JUSTICE AND HUMANITY ON THE DOOR OF THE PARLIAMENT... FUCK!!

2 comments:

saint said...

I share your frustration and I abhor those women in the parliament and in the government who are selling themselves short betray their own skin, what a sham.

But, please could you elaborate on which items in the CEDAW contradict directly with the current Syrian laws and which items can serve the society as a positive change towards equality even it contradict the societal old outdated traditions.
If there is a link regarding these discussion would be appreciated.

Dania said...

the CEDAW convention articles are included in this link in English:

http://www.un.org/womenwatch/daw/cedaw/cedaw.htm

a full arabic version of detailed articles are in this link:
http://www.nesasy.org/content/view/4582/79/

and the items which contradict diectly with the current Syrian law is in this link:
http://www.nesasy.org/content/view/86/79/

hope that was helpful.